Learn how to Manage Your Diabetes
When you have diabetes, balancing life’s many responsibilities can be a challenge. However, with the right skills and information, you can lead an active, healthy, and satisfying life. Whether you are newly diagnosed or have lived with diabetes for years, St. Francis Hospital & Health Services can help.
Diabetes Self Management Training Program
- 10 hours of comprehensive diabetes education
- DSMT services require a physician’s referral
- St. Francis bills insurance and Medicare for DSMT services
- Classes inculde the following topics to help you better manage your diabetes:
o Diabetes disease process
o Healthy food choices and meal planning
o Carbohydrate counting
o Physical activity
o Blood glucose monitoring
o Medication information
o Emotional well-being
o Short-term and long-term complications
o Goal setting and problem solving
Contact the St. Francis Diabetes Team at 660-562-7966.
Medical Nutritional Therapy (MNT)
- Includes a nutrition consultation with a dietitian
- MNT services require a physician’s referral
- St. Francis bills insurance and Medicare for MNT services
Contact our Registered Dietitian at 660-562-2600 ext. 5106.
Gestational Diabetes Education
- Understanding gestational diabetes and its effect on mother and baby
- Diet and blood glucose control
- Glucometer use
Contact our OB Nurse & Lactation Consultant at 660-562-2525.
Diabetes Support Group
A variety of speakers, topics and ideas are offered to assist you in your diabetes management.
When: 5:30 - 7 pm the 2nd Thursday of every month
Where: South Hills Medical Office Building.
Contact the St. Francis Diabetes Team at 660-562-7966. Also, you can reference our Diabetes Resources for more information about your diabetes risk and health management.